Monday, 20 February 2012

Cake! No eggs!

I recently found out a friend of ours is allergic to eggs.  I really thought about this for a long time, no eggs, ever.  No eggs benedict, no custards, no over easy, and no cake.  Wait a minute, no cake?  It couldn't be.  I was on a mission to find a recipe even just one, that she could enjoy.  After a lot of thought, it came to me; Wacky Cake.  This is a cake that my Mom used to make all the time when we were little.  I could sit down and put away quite a number of slices after school.  And so, I present to you;

Wacky Cake Cupcakes


1 1/2 cup flour
3 tbsp cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup white sugar
5 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup water
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp vanilla

Line a muffin tin with baking cups.  Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.  In a separate bowl, cream together the sugar, oil, water, vinegar, and vanilla.  Make 3 wells in the flour mixture and pour the wet ingredients into each well.  Stir until mixed together.  Fill each muffin cup 3/4 full of batter and bake at 350F for approximately 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a cupcake comes out clean.

You can also adapt this to make a full cake, just increase the baking time by about 5-7 minutes and be sure to grease your cake pan.



You can frost with a standard buttercream frosting, I chose to use cream cheese frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting

1 pkg cream cheese
1 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
dash salt
2 1/2 cups icing sugar
4-5 drops of food coloring (whichever color you like)

Cream all the ingredients together, add milk or icing sugar as needed to get the desired consistency.

Success!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Kristy Mayor,

    You are sweet. And a nice friend to have when you are allergic to eggs. Jasmin will enjoy!

    Jaimee

    ReplyDelete