Monday, 12 March 2012

Leftovers - Sort Of!

This past Friday I had the day off and wanted to make some comfort food.  Planet Organic has whole free-run, organic chickens.  These chickens are the best, and certified organic and kind to animals (as you can get) by the BC SPCA.  Steve and his sister Christy tell me that the BC SPCA has very high standards so that made me feel good about roasting this bird!

It was about $27 for the chicken, which I didn't think was too shabby given how special it was.  But, it did make A LOT.  For two people, definitely too much!  And so, we have leftovers.  I don't really care much for leftovers so I have to make them new again and so we have:

Chicken Fried Rice (the quick and dirty version!)
1 tbsp grapeseed oil
Leftover roast chicken (chopped up)
2 cups cooked rice
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 eggs
1/4 cup soy sauce

Warm up the grapeseed oil over medium heat, add the chopped onion and cook until translucent.  Throw the rice, chicken, and frozen peas into the pan and saute until heated through.  Make a well in the middle and crack the eggs into the well.  Fry the eggs until they are almost cooked all the way through, break up with your spatula and toss into the rice mixture.  Pour soy sauce in and mix well.  I added a little bit of fresh cracked pepper at the end as well.


Enjoy some leftovers tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment