Saturday, 2 June 2012

Breakfast for Dinner

The inspiration: A new pie plate



Here's how the conversation went:

Kristy: 'What will you want to eat after your bike ride?'
Steve: 'Something protein-y.'
Kristy: 'I was thinking a quiche.'
Steve: 'Do real men eat quiche?'

Yes, real men eat quiche!  So I made one.  I have never made a from scratch pie-type crust before.  I am not sure that I necessarily mastered it, but it turned out alright!

Crust


3/4 cup flour
6 tbsp butter (cold and cut into cubes)
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
cold water

Put the flour into a mixing bowl and sprinkle the butter cubes on top.  With your finger tips, gently rub the flour into the butter until it looks like bread crumbs.  Add the shredded cheese and mix.  One tablespoon at a time add just enough cold water until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl and forms a ball.  Cover in plastic wrap and let sit in the fridge for at least a half hour.  Roll out the dough on a floured board and lay over your pie plate, fold and pinch the edges until it looks crinkled and scalloped.  Poke the crust with a fork all over.  If you have pie weights you can add them in, if not that's okay too.  Bake at 350F for 10 minutes.

Filling


You can basically put any ingredients that you like in here, I used:

1/2 red onion, chopped
1 roma tomato, chopped
1/2 yellow pepper, chopped
1/2 pkg beef bacon, chopped
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
salt and pepper

Saute the bacon and onions and peppers, toss in some salt and pepper.  Add in the tomatoes to warm them up.



Whisk together 6 eggs and 1/4 cup sour cream.  Add in the cooled sauteed ingredients and pour into the pre-baked pie shell.  Bake at 350F for another 35 minutes or until quiche is set.


There is also some potato pancakes here.  Pretty simple, used some leftover mashed potatoes, stir in some chopped green onion and coat in panko bread crumbs.  Fry in a few tablespoons of oil until browned and warmed through.

The best meal of the day.

1 comment:

  1. Nice recipe. I like the beef bacon twist. The restaurant I cook for, Eggshell Bistro, makes a BLT quiche that is very popular. It's Applewood Bacon, Leek (caramelized) and and Tomato (roasted). We call it the Quintessential Quiche.

    ReplyDelete