Thursday, 17 May 2012

It's Freezing Outside

Summer is not here.  I shouldn't have opened my big mouth!  Since today was quite a bit chillier than yesterday, I needed a cozy kind of supper to warm things up.
In the fridge we had some asparagus, which is more of a summer veg that I thought would make a good soup.  So for the first time, I made an asparagus soup!

Cream of Asparagus Soup with Thyme
1/2 red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 cup butter
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tbsp thyme
1 potato, chopped
1 batch asparagus, chopped
chicken stock
1/4 cup sour cream

Saute the onion and garlic in the butter until it starts to smell really good.  Add the salt, pepper and thyme. Cook another 5 minutes stirring around.  Toss in the potato, and asparagus and cook another 5 or 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Pour in enough chicken stock just to cover the vegetables.


Bring pot to a boil, cover and simmer on low for about 30 minutes or until all vegetables are tender.  Blend the soup until smooth.  You can use an immersion blender, or do it in batches in your countertop blender.  Add the 1/4 cup sour cream and blend or stir until smooth.

Dish up and add another dollop of sour cream if you like, I also sprinkled some fresh thyme on top!


I know what you're thinking, click here to find out why!

No comments:

Post a Comment